Friday, May 13, 2011

In the works

Okay, so I have a few things stewing in dye pots, that I thought I'd write down while I had them on my mind.

I've been collecting dandelion heads (just the corolla and calyx), and adding water. Been doing this for a few weeks.  I'll be straining them tomorrow, and seeing what I get.

I also had some dried strawberries.  I thought I'd be smart and rehydrate them, as they had gone stale. Yeah, I do still have somewhat of a dye bath, but I... was stupid, and I now realize this. (What's that line, experience is information you get just after you needed it?) I put the dried strawberries in a mason jar, added water, screwed on the lid and have been shaking it every day for the past three days. I was going to strain it tonight.  No need, now, really, as Kveldulf and I just spent an hour cleaning strawberry gunk off our kitchen ceiling. It probably wouldn't have been a problem, but it was warm in the house today.

The third thing I'll be working on is red cabbage. I know it's possible to extract a dye from it, and I've heard you can do it, so that's what I'm going to try.

Are these completely period? Probably not. However, the basic idea of looking at something and going "Gee, I wonder if I can get that color onto fiber" probably is. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment