Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strawberry dyed yarn

It's drying now, but I'll try to get a picture of it later.

I had started a dye session with Red Cabbage (#2), and had a mordant bath that I had used.  As I used up the last of my alum, I thought to just put my small amount of yarn in there, and hope for the best.

So, materials used: approx. 1 oz of wool.

For the dye: The remains of two bags of stale freeze dried strawberries. Those were put into a jar (pint sized, I believe) and tap water was added to cover and fill the jar. And left to sit for several days, shaking about once a day. Now, I don't know how much I used, or how much remained, as I waited too long and had to scrape strawberry blast surprise off my ceiling. I know now that I waited too long.

Strained what was left through two layers of cheese cloth, twice. I got a good amount of gunk off.  As I was mordanting the wool, I added the jar of the dye stuff and had it sit in the pot for about 8 minutes, and then added the wool.  I left the jar in the pot of hot mordant (almost like a double boiler, but the jar rested on the bottom of the pot) and turned off the heat. I covered it, giving a little vent.

Left it overnight.

Ran the wool under cool water rinse a few times until color ran clear. Left to dry in my bathroom.

The color is a pale strawberry pink. Not unattractive, but not all that "WOW!" either.

Notes, observations and other things:  I had read something on-line that a saltwater bath produces better color for berry dyes. Might try that next time. Also want to try heating the strawberries in the jar to see if a stronger bath is produced. (Idea of strawberries came from here: http://www.sewanee.edu/chem/chem&art/Detail_Pages/Projects_2003/Lawrence/html/Lawrence.html)
However, that does mean using up a lot of strawberries. Might just have to hit the "pick your own" place in a few weeks and pick a bunch - some to eat, some to dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment