Thursday, October 10, 2019

Old entries from another journal - Irish flowers

Going through a different platform, and realized I had some things there. So, I'm combining them and bringing them here.

JUN. 4TH, 2011
Dye project - Iris flowers

So, some interesting stuff with Iris flowers.
I love them. They are GORGEOUS. However, I'm mad at them as I want that color on that wool.
Which, in order to do that I need tin crystals, according to one book I have. (Wish the older, 1950's book had mentioned that.) However, I didn't know that, so I treated it a bit like the red cabbage, but first time through I strained the flowers out. I think the heat denatured the proteins, or, as Marie suggested, they oxidized, but it didn't do much to the wool (apprx. 4 oz alum + cot). Added more flowers to the dye bath and wool, and put the temp on. It did seem to transfer some of the purple to the wool, but that washed out on rinsing. (DRAT!) However the wool has a greenish-olive tint to the khaki color.
I'm going to try one more thing, and then be done with the flowers. The roots and leaves, however... mine, all mine. I have a large clump in my garage waiting for me to come clean them, sort good from bad, and experiment. I still have one clump that's blooming, as well as the Siberian ones that will probably do better elsewhere.

Ah, my refuge. :D Now, if only I didn't have to mow the lawn, I'd be happier. Anyone have a goat or sheep they can loan?

No comments:

Post a Comment