Thursday, October 10, 2019

Old Entries - Dye stuff updated, more

APR. 26TH, 2011

Dye stuff updated - Just pulled the marigold yarn out and rinsed it. It's a very pale yellow, but it's a very clean yellow.

As I had dye bath left over, I quickly added some of my previously dyed black bean yarn. Granted, no prep - so I'm not expecting much. However, if it works, it'll be interesting.

--


Okay, so the marigold dye bath isn't doing much. Probably because I have twice the wool in there that I should. I know that now. And knew it before I put it in, but it was too hard to divide a hank of yarn in to two. Especially wet, steaming ones.


---

More dye stuffThe weather is quite "eh" outside. Just cold enough that even with a sweatshirt, I'm worried about hurting my back (worse). So, after cleaning up from the walnut dye job (finally), I'm looking at the other bucket I have.

Half a pound of marigold leaves soaking.

( Marigold dye bath quandary... )

Okay, so I have over 8 qts of marigold juice. What fit into the crock pot outside is on "high" right now. I'm hoping that some of it will boil down, and if that happens, I'll add the rest. I have about half a pound of wool in warming water on the stove. 1 Tb alum and 1 tsp CoT, and about 2.5 gallons of water. (I would have done more water, but... I'm using the biggest pot I have.)

About 45 minutes from now, we'll have a look and see if both things are ready to go.

---

APR. 25TH, 2011

Need to go get the wool and weigh it, but thought I'd jot some notes down first.

Next time, more water. I probably could have filled the bucket and let the whole thing soak. Some of the water seems to have evaporated, but all in all, more water next time.

I didn't realize just how much this would stink. It reminds me of an uncleaned horse stall. More walnut hulls next time. I'll see if I can talk to Katriina about letting me collect more upon more.

I let the hulls go black. Next time, I want to try starting the bath when they are green and see what happens.

8-quart crock - good idea.

The dye stuff has been heating for about three hours. Gave up boiling it, but since it's been steaming for an hour, I added the yarn. (soaked in warm water, and gentle squeezed to remove water.)

Going to let it sit for about an hour. I probably could have dyed more yarn in this pot, but didn't have any plain cotton (stuff that I knew was 100% cotton), nor did I have any linen that I wanted to sacrifice. However, this means I can set some of this aside afterwards and try other things.

--

Used about 4 oz. of Fisherman's wool to a full 8qt. pot of dye bath. No mordant. Result: A nice wood brown. (No other real way I can explain it. Yes, it's brown, but it's lacking a lot of yellow that most browns tend to have. Okay, it's a bit darker than walnut shells.) Had it steaming for about 90 minutes before I added the wool, which I had soaked in warm water. Added the wool and kept it at temperature for about another 90 minutes. Rinsed until no further dye came out and left to dry outside. (Then brought in the next morning as it was still WET. Granted, I didn't realize that it was going to drizzle all night long.)

I also had a small amount of roving. I had turned the dye bath off, but it was still quite warm. Turned it on low and added the roving. As there was a lot less of it, I let it go for about 40 minutes, before I removed it. The brown is lighter, closer to a dark tan. Rinsed and placed outside. As the place I put it outside was more sheltered than the wool, the roving was dry in the morning. (And the focus of several birds. I may have lost some of the roving to nest builders.)

No mordant on either.

The walnut hulls were still giving off color, so I added more water to the bucket they are in. A lot more water than I originally had added to the first batch. However, this will give me a chance to compare (somewhat) and see how the walnuts hold up.

And holy smokes! Do I still have a lot of dyebath. I'm going to put wool in there cold and see if it affects the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment