Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fall dyeing, day one - walnut and annatto

I've been playing with dyes again, starting with walnut and annatto.

For the walnut bath, I mordanted the 4 ounces ish of fiber (Peredale, washed, but not processed). The walnut juice/extract (you'll hear me use both terms, but basically, soaked some black walnuts that I collected while helping out friends out at Bristol Ren Fair in Bristol, WI.) I let them turn brown/black.

I did a first boil/soak, strained, and gave that to a friend for walnut ink (for more on that, I suggest looking up Ian the Green's blog. He had a lot on different inks, and a few posts on walnut ink.)

After that, I put the walnuts in a 5gal orange bucket, added water, and let them sit for a while. Like, a few weeks. When I wanted to dye with extract, I just strained some, refilled the liquid in the bucket, and went to the stove.

The wool came out a nice light brown. Nothing too exciting, but I figured I'd have some fun and overdye it with some old annatto I had found while cleaning out the kitchen. Three handfuls of annatto seeds, with some baking soda, bring to temp, let sit, and they let cool.

I did that and added it to the walnut bath. And then I did it again, with the remainder of the annatto I had. I didn't measure anything, but added about 1 cup of baking soda. Heated, let simmer for about 20-30 mins, and strained. Added to the walnut bye bath, and brought the walnut bath to a simmer again.

The color I was hoping for was... I don't even know. But what I ended up with was very autumnal. A golden auburny orange sort of color.  Part of me thinks "rusty 70's orange" but my husband thought it was cool (the auburny description was from him) . I think I'll like it more when it's blended with something. Maybe like a robin's breast red, or even a yellow, green or brown. We'll see what I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment