Thursday, June 9, 2011

Iris Root

Apparently, I'm very forgetful as of late.

I did this on June 9th, added in on 6/27:

Iris Root dye bath.

4 oz fisherman's wool
approx 12 oz iris germanica root (several days out of ground, spend overnight in a bucket of water, and then hacked up)

Wool was alumed and cot'ed. (2T, and 1.5tsp., respectively)

Roots were dug up, put in wheel barrow sort of contraption and left there until I could deal with them. Put then in a bucket, ran water over them, left them to sit for a few hours (had to have dinner and sit). Went out and removed leaves, soft spots, and chopped them up to about dice sized pieces (ish). Put in crock put, poured a little water over, swished around, drained dirty water. Put in more clean water, put crock pot on high and went inside.

Came back out every hour for about three hours to check, finally turned it off and went back inside, leaving the crock pot and dye bath juice to sit.

Prior to the dye bath being made: Soaked wool, added it to mordant bath, heated it for about two hours (was doing yard work that day), let it sit to cool. After... a day, I think, I rinsed the wool, and took it out to the dye bath.

Added it, heated it. It did actually reach a boiling. Turned it off and let it sit.

It's been that way since Tuesday. Instead of the grey-blue I was told to expect, I've gotten a yellow. Not quite what I was expecting, but maybe if I had dried the roots, it would have turned out differently. Plan on trying that again, as I have more irises that I need to dig up.

No comments:

Post a Comment